If we want to be Agents of Change for the Lord Jesus Christ then we need to love like Christ.
Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:1-3:
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
I am becoming persuaded that the foundation to see change in people is not sound theology; it is love. Without love, our theology is like a boat without oars. Love is what drove God to send and sacrifice his Son. Love is what led Christ to subject himself to the cross. Love is what causes him to seek and save the lost. The problem is that we don’t want ministry that demands love that is difficult. We don’t want to serve others in a way that requires personal sacrifice. We prefer to lob grenades of truth into people’s lives rather than lay down our lives for them. But this is exactly what Christ did for us: He laid down His life for us. Can we expect to be called to do anything less?
People are watching to see if Christians are for real and to see if God is for real. Research by George Barna for his book, Re-Churching the Unchurched, found out that only 2 percent of those who don’t attend church do so because they don’t believe in God. The other 98 percent stay away because they, for a variety of reasons, don’t like what they see when they look at the church. Our actions toward people in need can go a long way toward demonstrating to the skeptics what authentic Christianity looks like, whether its seen up-close or from a distance.
1 Peter 3:15 says “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect”
If we have the truth and are not willing to share it, is that Love? If we want to be the Agents of Change for the Lord Jesus Christ then we need to love like Christ.