Archive for January 15th, 2011
source: Eating Well
Yields 4 servings, about 2 cups each
- 1 1/2 10-ounce packages frozen shelled edamame, (about 3 cups), thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or mint
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add edamame and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, covered, until the onions are starting to brown, about 3 minutes more. Add garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the edamame and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro (or mint) and lemon juice.
Server over couscous.
“Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke? “Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide yourself from your own flesh? “Then your light will break out like the dawn, And your recovery will speedily spring forth; And your righteousness will go before you; The glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.” (NASB95)
In Isaiah 58:6-8, God says He has chosen fasts that:
- Loosen the bonds of wickedness
- Undo heavy burdens
- Let the oppressed go free
- Break every yoke
- Give bread to the hungry and provide the poor with housing
- Allow the people’s light to break forth like the morning
- Cause their health to spring forth speedily
- Cause their righteousness to go before them, and
- Cause the glory of the Lord to be their rear guard
We start our 21 day fast tomorrow, 01-16-11. Pray that God will honor your fast?